Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Attack of the Canned Tomatoes!

It has been a wonderful season for tomatoes in my house but that means that I have been up to my elbows in them!  It seems that every week I have had to do some canning.  Now don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about my abundance of tomatoes, but it does get tiring.  I have filled my pantry shelves with lovely jars of tomatoes to use throughout the year and I am thrilled.  Canning tomatoes isn't difficult, it just takes a little bit of time.  Most of the tomatoes that I can are Roma's, however I do throw in some Willamette slicing tomatoes if I need to fill space.

 Freshly picked from my garden...doesn't get much prettier than that!
 After blanching them with boiling water you can slide the skins right off.
 Squish them into warm jars, add a little salt then put the warm lid on and screw the top on.
Into the canner they go for 30-35 minutes and then out come beautiful jars of tomatoes
It is recommended to use either the boiling water method or the pressure canner for tomatoes.  I switch back and forth depending on my time.  Now for some people I know that this seems like a waste of time but it really is a money saver.  My tomato plants only cost me $6 dollars and the price for a can of stewed tomatoes at the store averages $1+ for a name brand.  Plus you are getting added preservatives  in store bought that you really don't need, and lets face it home grown always tastes better! 
Approximate savings: $30+
This amount doesn't even play into account all the tomatoes that we have eaten fresh throughout the summer or the fact that I will probably have one more batch to can before the plants are all done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment